Employee Givebacks Allow CCSF a Balanced 2012-13 Budget
CCSF faculty have voted to approve the June 20, 2012 amendment to the AFT/District Agreement, allowing the District to immediately implement an annualized 2.85% reduction of all faculty earnings for 2012-13. AFT 2121 election officer Wendy Miller will release the official vote count later this evening.
With this painful giveback, along with other cost savings from unfilled faculty vacancies, reductions in course offerings, and student services, the faculty has done its part to allow the District to finalize a balanced 2012/13 budget. Together with givebacks from all employee groups at CCSF (classified, administrators, skilled crafts), the budget closes a $14 million deficit this year.
We will continue to report on the fiscal and accreditation crisis at CCSF and efforts to address them. We are also calling on faculty to help turn the tide by joining the campaign to “Save Our College,” which includes asking San Francisco voters to approve a CCSF parcel tax on November 6, 2012. Let us know you want to join the campaign to pass Prop A at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- With faculty ratification of the Agreement, pay reductions begin immediately on the August 28, 2012 payroll and continue through June 30, 2013.
- “Shadow” pay scales reflecting the temporary 2012-13 salary cut are in place for the August 28 payroll. Because these “shadow” scales must be used, faculty will not see the amount of pay reduction listed as a deduction on their paychecks. To view these amounts and “shadow” scales, AFT is preparing tables so that faculty can calculate the pay deductions and “check their checks.”
- For full-time Regular Salary (base pay), the paycheck reduction beginning Aug. 28 is pro-rated at 3.42% less since 61 of 365 days have already been paid at the higher salary schedule since July 1, 2012.
- For part-time faculty on Pay-by-Load (PBL) assignments, the reduction is 2.85% beginning Aug. 28 since this is the first paycheck for 2012-13.
- All hourly pay rates beginning Aug. 28 will be reduced by 2.85% through June 30, 2013.
- “Retro” pay reductions for summer 2012: faculty with earnings from the summer will see an additional offset on the Aug. 28 paycheck through the end of the semester. The amount will equal gross pay for summer divided by the number of remaining paychecks in the Fall (nine (9) for part-timers; ten (10) for full-timers).
- Faculty with health coverage under HSS will see their premiums rolled back to 2011/12 levels for Kaiser and Blue Shield plans, and partially rolled back for City Plan. Faculty will be refunded the difference in the rates retroactive to July 1, 2012.
More on this agreement: