(Thursday, 2/8) Candidates forum and COPE endorsement
Come be a part of our union’s democratic process! All AFT 2121 members in good standing are invited to interview the five major candidates for San Francisco Mayor, have a discussion, and then vote to make an endorsement at this critical moment for both for SF and CCSF.
AFT 2121 candidates forum and COPE endorsement
Thursday, February 8, 2-5pm
Ocean Campus, MUB 340
We support our undocumented students
In response to the recent raids in Northern California by the Trump Administration, AFT 2121 faculty were out on Friday to support our undocumented students and their families. Our Prez Tim Killikelly was quoted in a recent examiner article saying he had come to be “a strong voice against these outrageous, repressive activities” and to support City College students who may be undocumented.“ We will continue to stand with our students against Trump’s hate agenda.
College for All moves forward
The proposed measure to create an estate tax on the wealthiest 0.2% of Californians to make tuition free at all the Community Colleges, CSUs and UCs statewide – is growing – and still needs your help!
Our AFT 2121 Prez Tim Killikelly asked and CFT has agreed to give $50K to the campaign. We have 76 days left to gather signatures and we still need about 500K signatures. If 100 of us asked 100 students, and each one signed the petition, we would have 10,000 signatures!
Can you help?
- Drop by our College for All table at Ram Plaza between 11-1pm on Thurs. 2/15, Tues. 2/20, Thurs. 2/22, or Tues. 2/27
- Make an announcement in your classes and pass around the petition
- Offer extra credit to students who want to volunteer to make CA Higher Ed free
- Or invite a student to present in your classes. Send your class meeting times to Celi Tamayo-Lee at SF Rising (email@example.com / 415-336-0615 )
There are petitions at our AFT 2121 office. Reach out to AFT 2121 Organizer Athena Waid (firstname.lastname@example.org / 406-531-0503) if you need to get your hands on some. And stay tuned for a Petition Gathering Training in the coming weeks!
AFT 2121 seeks Executive Director
Our local’s long-time and much-loved Executive Director, Chris Hanzo, will be retiring this June. The Executive Board, which is responsible for hiring union staff, has launched a national search for a new ED. View the AFT 2121 ED job announcement and application process.
Timeline for the hiring process:
- Feb. 1: Finalize and begin posting Job Announcement
- Feb. 1-28: Advertise job widely including: AFT 2121 membership, within CFT statewide, labor councils in Bay Area, national union job networks
- Mar. 2: Deadline for applications
- Mar. 2-15: Initial paper screening of applications
- Mar. 16: Notification of candidates
- Mar. 19-30 Hiring committee interviews candidates
- April 1-15 “Meet the candidates” event with input from Union members
- May 1: Final decision by Executive Board
- May 15, 2018: Notification to finalists
How can I support my Bargaining Team?
Share your story
Help us address the affordability crisis by telling your story. Why do you love your job? Is the affordability crisis threatening your ability to remain an educator? What about your students?
Let’s continue asking the Board of Trustees and our administration for their support in protecting what matters at our college. We hope you will join us and come out to tell your story:
- at Open Negotiations (Every Wednesday, 2pm, MUB 238)
- or in public comment to the Board of Trustees (February 22, 4pm, MUB 140).
Can’t come out at one of these times? Send a 2-minute-long written statement to our President Tim Killikelly (email@example.com) and our Bargaining Team will read it for you.
Can’t tell your story? You can still support our Bargaining Team.
We are working together to keep our Union strong and fight right wing attacks on the working class.
Have you signed a new membership form yet?
Hundreds of faculty who have chosen to re-commit to our Union by signing our new membership form — with its loud, proud commitment to “stick with our union” for a full calendar year — have helped to keep us in a powerful position for our negotiations. If you have not done so this school year, please help us keep the momentum going and sign a new AFT 2121 membership form.(Picture) Rank-and-file leader Marco Mojica holds up the 12 new membership forms that came to our Union’s office in just one day last week! Let’s keep the momentum going.